Piano & Vocal Lessons
learn by ear
MUSIC THEORY FOR PRACTICAL APPLICATION
POP STYLE, IMPROV & PERFORMANCE
SONGWRITING COACHING OPTION
can combine voice & piano in 1 hour lessons
🤘 Private piano or vocal lessons held in person in Raglan, New Zealand or online video lessons through Skype.
🤘 Option of weekly 30 minute lessons or fortnightly 60 minute lessons. Held during 10 weeks of the school term.
🤘 Final lesson of each term includes studio recording of favourite performance piece.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor MA Music, Grade 8 Piano Performance (ABRSM/Trinity), Music Editor (7 years), Piano Course Developer (Rocket Piano & Piano Picnic), 20 years experience, international performer & recording artist. Click here to listen to my latest album!
Take-home assets include:
☑️ practice backing tracks
☑️ audio recording of final song performance
☑️ 40% OFf student discount to super basics beginner piano course.
Who are these lessons suitable for?
- beginner pianists of all ages (children under 12 will need adult supervision).
- intermediate pianists who want to develop their improv, 'comping or ear-skills,
- pianists of any level who want to hone their songwriting,
- pianists of any level who want specialised direction & encouragement!
What types of lessons are available?
- 30 minute piano training lessons (furthering your skill, technique & knowledge in general playing).
- 60 minute piano development & coaching sessions (intensive sessions to take you to the next level quickly, recommended for intermediate level adult pianists).
What do these lessons include? (individual to each student's needs).
- basic technique,
- theory knowledge,
- music-reading (if desired),
- ear-training challenges,
- improvisation & creative playing,
- learn repertoire that you want to learn,
- use of apps & games to reinforce learning in a fun way,
how do skype lessons work?
They are similar to in-person lessons: the teacher & student commit to meeting at the same time, they discuss concepts & training in real time, feedback is given instantly and the learning approach is tailored to the individual student.
The main differences are: it does not matter if either person is sick or unable to travel; instead of showing the keyboard directly the teacher will, from time to time, use an animated screen to show the piano keys being pressed in order to make a demonstration; and finally, the lesson can be recorded so you can watch it again at a later date, if you wish.
What if I can't make a lesson?
The sooner you get in touch about a missed lesson the more options you have.
Options are to:
- receive a recorded video lesson from me using your allocated lesson time-slot to watch in your own time.
- send me a video of yourself playing to receive feedback and coaching on your performance.
- reschedule your lesson (only with minimum 48 hours notice & subject to availability).
INSPIRE! Pop Piano Program
x4 intensive 45-minute private sessions
at your house, on your piano
For ages 8+
🤘 Designed for those with 1+ years of piano lessons under their belt (or the 'Super Basics' course), this will Inspire, Engage, Supercharge and Empower young pianists with the skills to begin learning songs by ear, to improvise and to compose.
🤘 This is taught through listening, singing, body percussion, movement, and use of technology with songs they know and love.
🤘 More intensive & specialised than your usual piano lessons, the skills taught in this program will help to create well-rounded musicians and prepare them for playing in a band, writing their own songs and learning songs by ear.
*Age & experience negotiable. This program can be tailored for the individual simply get in touch to discuss.